Internet based list of links to thrashing episodes in Nepal
Compiled by Joe Niemczura, RN, MS
September 2018 Update: click here to read my take on the NMA protest.
This is provided as background to the issue of thrashing. I do not pretend that it is comprehensive. I started collecting these a few years ago and realized I need to put the list all in just one place. I will add to it. These reports will inform the reader as to the nature of the problem. Thrashing is an issue throughout Nepal.
INVITATION: if you can think of a link that needs to be added, please send it to me!
My own blog www.joeniemczura.wordpress.com has followed this trend since 2011 and many more reports can be found there.
My YouTube Channel has a playlist as well: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSXynKNP9Lj_nhaj4P-KnR4nVYu6cub-7
- Sept 23, 2018 – Rajbiraj. A toddler died (possible snakebite?) and was declared dead at the first hospital the family took him to. At the Zonal Hospital the boy was dead on arrival which the family refused to accept. A mob broke into the morgue and took the body to yet a third place. He was still dead but there was a mob protesting. http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2018-09-23/zonal-hospital-tense-after-infants-death.html
- September 4th, 2018 – Yangwarak, death of a pregnant woman while transiting from health post to hospital. Part of Panchthar District near Taplejung, very rural area in hilly country, not a lot of details. https://myrepublica.nagariknetwork.com/news/tension-rises-at-yangwarak-rm-after-a-mother-to-be-dies/
- September 1st, 2018 Namuna Hospital in Sirlahi. Vandalized after death of 31-year-old woman in childbirth. https://myrepublica.nagariknetwork.com/news/namuna-hospital-vandalized-after-the-death-of-a-new-mother/
- Aug 13th, 2018 27-year-old man dies minutes after receiving an IV injection , at Rukum, http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2018-08-13/rapti-community-hospital-vandalised-after-patients-death.html
- May 8, 2018, Therathum, death of 35-year-old woman leads to protests and rock throwing at District Hospital. http://www.myrepublica.com/news/41316/
- May 1, 2018 episode of crowd gathered at District Hospital in Pyuthan after death of newly postpartum 23 year old mother. Riot Police called, no specific incident of thrashing (fortunately). http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2018-05-02/pyuthan-district-hospital-tense-following-death-of-postpartum-woman.html
- April 9, 2018 Norvic Hospital vandalized after death of infant. http://www.lightnepalonline.com/posts/36575 links to 32-minute-long video of irate protesters (in Nepali) as well as journo interview of hospital administrator. https://youtu.be/M8HZKWBfplk
- CCTV Video March 21st 2017 Maharashtra, India (graphic) doctor attacked by angry relatives https://youtu.be/2kmnpxOHie0
- March 2018 Video of doctor being assaulted in Ghaziabad, U.P. India. https://youtu.be/D7i76byIBGc
- Doctor attacked by mob, slashed with scalpel, in Pune India and dies a week later. March 26 2018 https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/pune/relatives-assault-doctor-after-death-of-patient/articleshow/63447556.cms
- Patients in Doti suffer after doctors leave citing security issues https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/patients-hit-hard-doctors-abandon-doti-hospital/
- March 7th 2018 Doctors protest in Province 7 after incident in Doti https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/province-7-doctors-demand-guarantee-security/
- March 1st 2018, Rajbiraj: Locals vandalize Hospital citing sheer negligence after death of 25-year-old in labor. http://setopati.net/social/118285
- Dec 21, 2017 Rasunga Hospital, Gulmi. 53 man dies after dental surgery. https://wp.me/p1pDBL-1DQ
- http://swasthyakhabar.com/news-details/10139/2017-11-17#.Wg5TJALM3Js.facebook an event in Saptari Nov 16 2017 in which the doctor got arrested (?) I asked for a summary translation, and this is what a friend told:
its like …there was 1 death of police man occur due to embulance while returning from market by bike…..then dead body was brought to hospital…. one of the police officer was shouting and usuing slang word to every para medics and dr …medical officer and their co worker were beaten by police … that is the scene happened….death occur in road accident….but insulting to the dr …..misbeheved …. that is life of doctor
- http://nepalhealthnews.com/news/2017/10/09/5141.html#.Wdr58HR85EM.facebook ( in Nepali) describes the Kanchanpur incident Oct 2017.
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-10-09/service-at-mahakali-zonal-hospital-halted-over-attack-on-doctors.html English-language version of Kanchanpur event.
- http://www.swasthyakhabar.com/news-details/7107/2017-10-09 describes the BPKIHS incident Ocy 9, 2017
- http://www.swasthyakhabar.com/news-details/6627/2017-10-02 describes reaction of bedside doctors after what is perceived as failed outcome of nationwide protest by Nepal Medical Association.
- http://www.swasthyakhabar.com/news-details/6711/2017-10-04#.WdSRqxkD0h8.facebook ( Nepali language) drawing attention to risks faced by doctors in emergency rooms.
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-10-05/law-on-cards-to-treat-attacks-on-docs-as-non-bailable-offence.html report on “jailwithoutbail” proposal after protest Oct 2017
- https://thehimalayantimes.com/kathmandu/doctors-protest-deal-government-nepal-medical-association/ dissatisfaction with outcome of protest Oct 2017
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/28466/ also describes dissatisfaction with agreement and includes background on scope of medical services in Nepal.
- https://joeniemczura.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/sept-31st-the-nma-hospital-protest-fizzles-out/ my own reaction to the agreement ending the protest.
- https://www.academia.edu/34650300/On_the_rise_of_workplace_violence_in_Nepals_healthcare_sector piece by David Citrin, PhD of University of Washington who works with “Possible” the NGO.
- http://nepalitimes.com/article/nation/Assaulting-the-caregivers,3957 report on the Citrin piece in Nepal media.
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-09-19/decision-to-make-doctors-pay-for-health-accidents-draws-flak.html news report prior to calling of national hospital protests.
- http://medchrome.com/featured/being-doctor-then-and-now-is-it-worth-it/ editorial.
- https://nepalmonitor.org/reports/view/15141 June incident in Bhaktapur
- http://wp.me/p1pDBL-1aB my own blog after the “Charikot Incident”
- https://www.ft.com/content/8053cef2-33d5-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e description of parallel issue in India. May 8th 2017
- https://www.amazon.com/Sacrament-Goddess-Joe-Niemczura/dp/1632100029 book about health care in Nepal in which the climactic scene is a mob threatening doctors with being thrashed. it is available in Nepal: http://wp.me/p3b3md-6J
- http://www.ibtimes.co.in/india-left-embarassed-renowned-medical-journal-lancet-discusses-rising-violence-countrys-health-725227 India editorial reaction to Lancet article on violence against doctors.
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-04-04/lumbini-hospital-tense-after-pregnant-woman-dies.html April 2017 Butwal incident.
- https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/53-doctors-attacked-in-two-years-not-a-single-conviction/articleshow/57764867.cms from India, lack of judicial response.
- http://www.godyears.net/2015/05/why-i-will-never-allow-my-child-to.html?m=1 editorial on blog from India
- https://youtu.be/cCX3y3RkFJU YouTube video of news report after death of pregnant woman in Om Hospital Kathmandu. Om Hospital has also seen subsequent protests.
- https://youtu.be/Mtmjzqa9UJ4 Om Hospital ( in Nepali).
- https://youtu.be/yuKBHrge2J8 (in Nepali) Grande Hospital
- https://youtu.be/Hxz00WQU6K4 video of doctors forced to publicy apologize in Charikot.
- https://nepalmonitor.org/reports/view/12517 death of pregnant women in Bharatpur.
- http://wp.me/p1pDBL-Cu two doctors thrashed by policeman at Patan Hospital http://setopati.net/society/9168/
- Sept 21st 2015 in Kerala, India (?) video of doctor being assaulted https://youtu.be/E-wfn1K_i04
- August 2015, Bangladesh, Bhairab Hospital video news https://youtu.be/mJ2vfXIg60M
- July 2015, CCTV video Aurangabad India, doctor thrashed https://youtu.be/d68hDAi1kmE
- September 2014 Teaching Hospital (TUTH Maharajganj) report of vandalism after death of patient in dialysis unit. video in Nepali https://youtu.be/PFGfn4EMOtc
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2014-06-04/pokhara-hospital-tense-after-patients-death.html Manipal Hospital in Pokhara. 2014
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-08-29/norvic-hospital-tense-after-infants-death.html Norvic.
- Video July 2014 of family attacking doctors at AIIMS, Delhi, India https://youtu.be/lwWTl0xpUGw
- https://thehimalayantimes.com/kathmandu/kist-hospital-tense-patients-death/ Kist.
- http://all-nepal-news.blogspot.com/2009/04/pokhara-hospital-tense-after-patients.html Western Regional Hospital, 2009
- Oct 2013 report in Nepal Medical Journal https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267100758_Violence_Against_Doctors_in_Nepal
- http://www.nepalmountainnews.com/cms/archives/31533 Manipal, 2011
- http://archives.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=23362 Mission Hospital in Tansen, 2009
- https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/esi-hospital-tense-after-sunday-fury/articleshow/60471510.cms Kolkota 2017
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/4333/ Death of child and Children’s and Women’s Hospital, 2016
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/15267/ Bijayapur Hospital, Dharan Feb 2017
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/28102/ Biratnagar sept 2017
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/27522/ Udayapur sept 2017
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/24169/ Janakpur Zonal Hospital
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/24145/ Kohalpur Hospital, Nepalganj;
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/23852/ Editorial descriing incident at ManMohan Hospital
- Five doctors thrashed in Biratnagar May 2009 https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/five-doctors-thrashed/
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/82/ protest by hospital workers in Baitadi after people smeared soot on face of administrator.
- 2009 incident in Pokhara in which patient “disappeared” (?) https://nagarikplus.nagariknews.com/portal/?action=news_details&news_id=6881
This is just a sample of reporting on this issue.
The Sacrament of the Goddess
My second book was published several years ago. It is a novel, and one of the themes is how these thrashing incidents come to a head. It is available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Sacrament-Goddess-Joe-Niemczura/dp/1632100029 or In Kathmandu at Vajra Books.
Update: from Medchrome, a gem of an algorithm: http://medchrome.com/featured/how-to-demand-medical-negligence-compensation-dark-truth/