Internet based list of links to thrashing episodes in Nepal
Compiled by Joe Niemczura, RN, MS
This is provided as background to the issue. I do not pretend that it is comprehensive. I started collecting these a few years ago and realized I need to put them all in just one place. I will add to it. These reports will inform the reader as to the nature of the problem. Thrashing is an issue throughout Nepal.
INVITATION: if you can think of a link that needs to be added, please send it to me!
My own blog www.joeniemczura.wordpress.com has followed this trend since 2011 and many more reports can be found there.
My YouTube Channel has a playlist as well: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSXynKNP9Lj_nhaj4P-KnR4nVYu6cub-7
- Dec 21, 2017 Rasunga Hospital, Gulmi. 53 man dies after dental surgery. https://wp.me/p1pDBL-1DQ
- http://swasthyakhabar.com/news-details/10139/2017-11-17#.Wg5TJALM3Js.facebook an event in Saptari Nov 16 2017 in which the doctor got arrested (?) I asked for a summary translation, and this is what a friend told:
its like …there was 1 death of police man occur due to embulance while returning from market by bike…..then dead body was brought to hospital…. one of the police officer was shouting and usuing slang word to every para medics and dr …medical officer and their co worker were beaten by police … that is the scene happened….death occur in road accident….but insulting to the dr …..misbeheved …. that is life of doctor
- http://nepalhealthnews.com/news/2017/10/09/5141.html#.Wdr58HR85EM.facebook ( in Nepali) describes the Kanchanpur incident Oct 2017.
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-10-09/service-at-mahakali-zonal-hospital-halted-over-attack-on-doctors.html English-language version of Kanchanpur event.
- http://www.swasthyakhabar.com/news-details/7107/2017-10-09 describes the BPKIHS incident Ocy 9, 2017
- http://www.swasthyakhabar.com/news-details/6627/2017-10-02 describes reaction of bedside doctors after what is perceived as failed outcome of nationwide protest by Nepal Medical Association.
- http://www.swasthyakhabar.com/news-details/6711/2017-10-04#.WdSRqxkD0h8.facebook ( Nepali language) drawing attention to risks faced by doctors in emergency rooms.
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-10-05/law-on-cards-to-treat-attacks-on-docs-as-non-bailable-offence.html report on “jailwithoutbail” proposal after protest Oct 2017
- https://thehimalayantimes.com/kathmandu/doctors-protest-deal-government-nepal-medical-association/ dissatisfaction with outcome of protest Oct 2017
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/28466/ also describes dissatisfaction with agreement and includes background on scope of medical services in Nepal.
- https://joeniemczura.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/sept-31st-the-nma-hospital-protest-fizzles-out/ my own reaction to the agreement ending the protest.
- https://www.academia.edu/34650300/On_the_rise_of_workplace_violence_in_Nepals_healthcare_sector piece by David Citrin, PhD of University of Washington who works with “Possible” the NGO.
- http://nepalitimes.com/article/nation/Assaulting-the-caregivers,3957 report on the Citrin piece in Nepal media.
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-09-19/decision-to-make-doctors-pay-for-health-accidents-draws-flak.html news report prior to calling of national hospital protests.
- http://medchrome.com/featured/being-doctor-then-and-now-is-it-worth-it/ editorial.
- https://nepalmonitor.org/reports/view/15141 June incident in Bhaktapur
- http://wp.me/p1pDBL-1aB my own blog after the “Charikot Incident”
- https://www.ft.com/content/8053cef2-33d5-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e description of parallel issue in India. May 8th 2017
- https://www.amazon.com/Sacrament-Goddess-Joe-Niemczura/dp/1632100029 book about health care in Nepal in which the climactic scene is a mob threatening doctors with being thrashed. it is available in Nepal: http://wp.me/p3b3md-6J
- http://www.ibtimes.co.in/india-left-embarassed-renowned-medical-journal-lancet-discusses-rising-violence-countrys-health-725227 India editorial reaction to Lancet article on violence against doctors.
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-04-04/lumbini-hospital-tense-after-pregnant-woman-dies.html April 2017 Butwal incident.
- https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/53-doctors-attacked-in-two-years-not-a-single-conviction/articleshow/57764867.cms from India, lack of judicial response.
- http://www.godyears.net/2015/05/why-i-will-never-allow-my-child-to.html?m=1 editorial on blog from India
- https://youtu.be/cCX3y3RkFJU YouTube video of news report after death of pregnant woman in Om Hospital Kathmandu. Om Hospital has also seen subsequent protests.
- https://youtu.be/Mtmjzqa9UJ4 Om Hospital ( in Nepali).
- https://youtu.be/yuKBHrge2J8 (in Nepali) Grande Hospital
- https://youtu.be/Hxz00WQU6K4 video of doctors forced to publicy apologize in Charikot.
- https://nepalmonitor.org/reports/view/12517 death of pregnant women in Bharatpur.
- http://wp.me/p1pDBL-Cu two doctors thrashed by policeman at Patan Hospital http://setopati.net/society/9168/
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2014-06-04/pokhara-hospital-tense-after-patients-death.html Manipal Hospital in Pokhara. 2014
- http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-08-29/norvic-hospital-tense-after-infants-death.html Norvic.
- https://thehimalayantimes.com/kathmandu/kist-hospital-tense-patients-death/ Kist.
- http://all-nepal-news.blogspot.com/2009/04/pokhara-hospital-tense-after-patients.html Western Regional Hospital, 2009
- http://www.nepalmountainnews.com/cms/archives/31533 Manipal, 2011
- http://archives.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=23362 Mission Hospital in Tansen, 2009
- https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/esi-hospital-tense-after-sunday-fury/articleshow/60471510.cms Kolkota 2017
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/4333/ Death of child and Children’s and Women’s Hospital, 2016
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/15267/ Bijayapur Hospital, Dharan Feb 2017
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/28102/ Biratnagar sept 2017
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/27522/ Udayapur sept 2017
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/24169/ Janakpur Zonal Hospital
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/24145/ Kohalpur Hospital, Nepalganj;
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/23852/ Editorial descriing incident at ManMohan Hospital
- http://www.myrepublica.com/news/82/ protest by hospital workers in Baitadi after people smeared soot on face of administrator.
- 2009 incident in Pokhara in which patient “disappeared” (?) https://nagarikplus.nagariknews.com/portal/?action=news_details&news_id=6881
This is just a sample of reporting on this issue.
The Sacrament of the Goddess
My second book was published several years ago. It is a novel, and one of the themes is how these thrashing incidents come to a head. It is available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Sacrament-Goddess-Joe-Niemczura/dp/1632100029 or In Kathmandu at Vajra Books.
Update: from Medchrome, a gem of an algorithm: http://medchrome.com/featured/how-to-demand-medical-negligence-compensation-dark-truth/